top of page

3 Most Common Credit Report Errors

Find out how to use a 609 dispute letter to dispute errors on your credit report and improve your credit score.


Credit report errors are more common than you might think, and they can significantly affect your credit score. To dispute these errors, you can use a 609 Letter. In this article, we'll cover everything you need to know about disputing credit report errors with a 609 Letter, from understanding the errors to writing and sending the letter. Let's dive in!

What Are the Three Most Common Credit Report Errors?

A. Types of Credit Report Errors

There are several types of credit report errors that you may encounter:

  1. Personal Information Errors: Incorrect name, address, or Social Security Number

  2. Account Status Errors: Wrong account status (e.g., closed account reported as open)

  3. Balance and Credit Limit Errors: Inaccurate balance or credit limit information

  4. Duplicate Accounts: The same account appearing multiple times

  5. Fraudulent Accounts: Accounts opened by identity thieves

B. How the 3 Most Common Credit Report Errors Impact Your Credit Score

Credit report errors can lead to a lower credit score, making it more difficult to obtain loans or credit cards with favorable terms. Correcting these errors can help improve your credit score and overall financial health.

What is a 609 Dispute Letter?

A. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)

The FCRA is a federal law that regulates the collection, dissemination, and use of consumer credit information. It establishes the rights of consumers and the responsibilities of credit reporting agencies and data furnishers (like creditors and lenders).

B. Section 609 of the FCRA

Section 609 of the FCRA grants consumers the right to request information from credit reporting agencies about the sources of their credit information. A 609 Letter is a written request that takes advantage of this right to dispute credit report errors and request the removal of inaccurate information.

How to Write a 609 Dispute Letter

A. Step 1: Obtain Your Credit Report

First, obtain a copy of your credit report from each of the three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion). You can request a free copy once every 12 months at

B. Step 2: Identify Errors on Your Credit Report

Review your credit report carefully and identify any errors. Make a list of these errors, including the name of the creditor, account number, and a brief description of the error.

C. Step 3: Gather Supporting Documentation

Collect any documents that support your claim, such as account statements, payment records, or letters from creditors. This documentation will help strengthen your case when disputing the errors.

D. Step 4: Write Your 609 Dispute Letter by Using Our 609 Letter Template

When writing your 609 Dispute Letter, include the following information:

  1. Your full name, address, and date of birth

  2. The name and address of the credit reporting agency

  3. A clear statement that you're invoking your rights under Section 609 of the FCRA

  4. A list of the errors you identified, along with a brief explanation for each

  5. A request for the credit reporting agency to investigate and remove the inaccurate information

  6. Copies of supporting documentation (do not send originals)

  7. A request for a corrected copy of your credit report after the investigation

Keep your letter concise and to the point. It's a good idea to use a template or sample 609 Letter Template to ensure you include all necessary information.

E. Step 5: Send Your 609 Dispute Letter

Send your 609 Dispute Letter via certified mail with a return receipt requested. This will provide proof that the credit reporting agency received your letter. Send separate letters to each credit reporting agency if the errors appear on multiple reports.

What to Expect After Sending a 609 Dispute Letter

Credit reporting agencies have 30 days to investigate your dispute and respond. If they determine that the information is indeed inaccurate, they must correct the error and notify you in writing. They must also notify the data furnisher (e.g., the creditor) of the error.

If the investigation does not resolve the issue, you have the right to add a 100-word statement to your credit report explaining the dispute. This statement will be visible to anyone who views your credit report in the future.


Disputing credit report errors with a 609 Dispute Letter can help you improve your credit score and protect your financial health. Remember to gather supporting documentation, clearly outline the errors, and send your letter via certified mail. Stay persistent, and don't hesitate to seek professional help if needed.


How long does it take to see results from a 609 Dispute Letter?

Credit reporting agencies have 30 days to investigate and respond to your dispute. If they correct the error, you should see an improvement in your credit score within a few months.

Can a 609 Dispute Letter be used to dispute all types of credit report errors?

Yes, a 609 Letter can be used to dispute any type of credit report error, including personal information errors, account status errors, balance and credit limit errors, duplicate accounts, and fraudulent accounts.

What if the credit reporting agency doesn't respond to my 609 Letter?

If a credit reporting agency fails to respond within 30 days, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) or your state's attorney general.

Can I hire a professional to help me write and send a 609 Letter?

Yes, you can hire a credit repair professional or an attorney to assist you with the process. However, it's essential to choose a reputable professional to ensure your best interests are protected.

Will using a 609 Letter guarantee that the errors on my credit report will be corrected?

While a 609 Letter can be an effective tool for disputing credit report errors, there's no guarantee that the errors will be corrected. The credit reporting agency may not agree with your dispute or may require additional information. However, using a 609 Letter is an essential first step in exercising your rights under the FCRA.

30 views0 comments
bottom of page